Manitoba’s top doctor warned people across the province to reduce their contacts Monday as the province added 100 new cases of COVID-19 and reported another death from the virus.
The latest death is a woman in her 80s who had been a resident at Parkview Place Long Term Care Home in Winnipeg. Her death is the 18th connected to a deadly outbreak at the Edmonton Street personal care home where more than 90 of the facility’s 220 residents have now tested positive for COVID-19.
Monday’s new cases marked the seventh consecutive day new daily case counts have been 100 or higher in Manitoba. Dr. Brent Roussin, the province’s chief public health officer said 831 new cases have been identified and 14 people have died since last weekend alone.
“Our big message to Manitobans — we need to reduce the number of contacts we have outside of our household,” Roussin said, before going through a list of recent cases where people had dozens of close contacts including some who went to work, went shopping, and held gatherings while symptomatic.
“All these restrictions are really there to change the way people are socializing, we need to keep the numbers of cases low and that keeps our ability for people to go to work, go to school — it protects our most vulnerable citizens.”
Roussin said dozens of health care professionals have had to take time off to self-isolate because people coming in for medical procedures aren’t disclosing that they’ve been in close contact to a positive case.
He said a person who likely picked up the virus at a faith-based gathering visited a personal care home, which led to the “beginnings of an outbreak” at the facility.
“We’re in a pandemic we have to expect to see cases … but what we shouldn’t expect and we shouldn’t accept are people that have 50 contacts, or people going to work when they’re ill, or people not being forthcoming with health care providers.
“This is what leads to numbers that we’re looking at right now.”
Full report by Global News